Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Anniversary

It's been roughly two years since I got serious about photography, and since I've gotten some new equipment lately, it's time for a quick review of those years.

The photo on the header of this blog was The First Picture for me. I looked up one day, and there it was. I took it with this camera:
The HP Photosmart M425. Not a very good camera optic or speed wise, but in its defense it is built like a tank. I had to break the case when it came time to replace a button.












Then , several month later, I was given this:
The Canon G1. Although nearly ancient (1995-2000 I believe- they're on the G11 now) it was a semi-professional camera in its day, and it gave me much more creative control. I had never heard of shutter speed or white balance till this guy came along. It had some sporty features, like a rotating LCD.








Then came my 16th birthday last November. I was sick of the slow Canon, and it was time for an upgrade. With the future in mind, I went for a DSLR. I knew that It'd be fun to add stuff from time to time. When I got it, I had only the basic kit lens.

Now, thanks to some prize money, this is my collection:





Left to right: Sony A200 body, 50mm f/1.7 lens (FAST!), external Minolta flash (in back), kit 18-70mm lens, and telephoto 70-300mm lens (LONG zoom!).
Total cost: $430. Quite amazing considering a Nikon DSLR w/ kit lens costs $500! Sony has amazing quality for budgeteers like me.